Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Simplicity, Santa and Small Towns

Last Thursday morning was busy. I dashed into the post office for mail then on the way back to my office I was pulled unexpectedly to our little public library. I was looking for a book on Claude Monet, but it could have waited. Something kept directing me to the library. So I went, found my Monet book and a video. As I was checking out I saw Santa Claus, just about to make his appearance at the pre-school story hour in the children’s section.

He looked rather like one of the town cops in a Santa suit. He was fabulous. Right on cue, he BECAME Santa and strutted jolly style to center stage (or chair). He chatted with a crowd of about 40 kids and parents, There was music and fun, crafts and treats,
decorations and a sizzle of holiday joy. Then the children took turns sitting on his lap and he TALKED with each of them about Christmas, life, family, food. He may have even asked them what they hoped for under the tree on Christmas morning, but that was not the focus.

There were no professional photographers selling photos of the Santa visit. No long lines of harried impatient shoppers, children with candy cane induced fits, just a big circle where kids waited politely until the Santa lap was empty and the spirit moved them to join the relaxed fun. It made my week and re-oriented me to the Community Christmas Spirit.

I couldn’t help contrast it with the typical Santa mall experience. You see, the closest mall or big shopping center is about an hour and a half away from us here in the mountains. Getting there is a big deal, not a three-time-a-week experience as was common for most kids from the suburb in which I used to live.
Some of these kids have never been to the Mall Santa event. They don’t even know that this is an opportunity for commerce. And promoting plastic toys. Yet. Don’t get me wrong— I know there are some wonderful, dedicated, caring professional Santas out there. But this is one more reminder of the value of community and how we nurture our children. For me, that is easier to find in a small town.

Simple Living is a good solid step toward a sustainable lifestyle. My mantra is carved in a rock given to me as a Christmas gift a while back: Simplify
It's easier to simplify going forward. It's tough to go back and simplify major choices you have already committed to—home or car purchase, how we raise our children, investments. But we have small choices every day, so just “keep on simplifying.”

So thank you small town libraries, for the amazing events you plan. Thank you librarians for the way-more-hours-than-you-get-paid-for. Thank you volunteer town, church and association Santas who keep the fun and spirit in Christmas by sharing the experience minus the stuff, simply.

Merry Christmas. Ho, ho, ho.

PS. Wythe-Grayson Regional Library in Independence, VA is staffed by angels. Please ask your representatives to keep libraries open and fully staffed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joyce, I like your blog and I'm so happy you chose blogspot, it makes it easier for me to follow you.

    Thanks for sharing your sustainability perspective in Independence. I know that we can return that quality to our larger urban areas as well - in neighborhoods, focused around neighborhood stores and churches within walking distances.

    I think people are beginning to understand that environmental sustainability is not built upon fossil fuels & credit.

    ps Add some pics

    ReplyDelete