Monday, February 15, 2010

Mother Nature Calls the Shots

Mother Nature Calls the Shots


Another 4-5 inches of snow predicted today. I’m getting used to this. And, truth be told, loving it. We are getting out, down our half mile long, steep, curvy driveway about once a week to the grocery store. It’s getting back UP the drive that presents a challenge.


Not being able to jump in the car and go, on a whim or to a scheduled event has its advantages. I’m making my way through stacks of magazines and newspaper articles I just never had time to tackle. I finished sewing warm window quilts (moveable insulation) and hung them on all our north windows, immediately keeping the house more comfortable. I’m working on photo albums that have been sitting in boxes for too long. I wrote a whole song in uninterrupted, record time at the piano. I’m loving it.


Yup, we have to carry in loads of wood to keep the wood furnace going, shovel off the patio when the drain pipes are iced up. But I am here and grounded. Fortunate indeed, that we have not lost electric power since before Christmas. (My heart goes out to those thousands still without power.) It’s not a big deal when we run out of milk or the right kind of flour or mushrooms. We can find something else to substitute for it in whatever is cooking. Sweetie Pie made the most wonderful lasagna, even after we discovered several of the key ingredients gone AWOL. Whole wheat fettucini noodles worked just fine and were a whole lot easier to install.


The most annoying part of all this unusual extreme winter—this winter just like I remember them from my childhood, this winter that all the old timers say used to be more the norm—is the people who spout comments mocking the ideas of Global Climate Change, usually with a snide clever attempt to sport their superiority in intelligence to a former Vice President. I look for an opportunity to mention that there is a difference between weather and climate. My step-son quietly responds to them that he is still very concerned about the melting of the polar ice caps.


Makes me wonder, "If ignorance is bliss, how come there aren't more happy people?” (author unknown) No matter how smart we think we are Mother Nature is still in charge.


Blessings and Earthpeace,

Joyce


P.S. And for those of you wondering where God stands in all of this, I think that God and Mother Nature are VERY good friends.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for making me feel warm and thoughtful. I'm going to enjoy a cup of hot cocoa, wrap up in a blanket, read a little of Michael Pollan's Food Rules, and fall incredibly behind in all that needs to be done. You rock!

    ReplyDelete